Social Media is content that is created by people for other people. It's about interacting with people, communities and organisations. Building relationships, both short and long term, with friends, business acquaintances, companies and more. The business potential of Social Media is phenomenal. Brand awareness, networking, advertising, consumer reviews and much much more.
Examples of Social Media are:
- Social Networking (Facebook, Bebo, MySpace, LinkedIn)
- Discussion Groups (Google Groups, Yahoo Groups etc.)
- Virtual Worlds (Second Life, World of Warcraft etc.)
- Social Bookmarking
- News Feeds
- Video Sharing (YouTube etc.)
- Photo Sharing (Flickr etc.)
There are many other forms of Social Media, and they will continue to be developed. It's easy to waste a lot of time not achieving your goals in Social Media, it's best to work with someone who knows how businesses can best benefit from embracing these technologies. The rewards in getting it right though - limitless!